TCU pulled off two big upsets over ranked opponents in singles and doubles against Texas A&M on Saturday, but No. 12 Texas A&M came away with a 5-2 victory in College Station.
TCU’s No. 53-ranked Nick Chappell defeated Aggies’ No. 13 Harrison Adams at No. 1 singles, and Arnau Dachs and Trey Daniel knocked off A&M’s No. 38-ranked Jeremy Efferding and Jordan Szabo at No. 2 doubles for the No. 47-ranked Frogs (8-7).
Shane Vinsant of Keller defeated Dachs 6-1, 6-4 at No. 2 singles to lead A&M (15-5).
• NIT: Alex Hamilton scored 20 points and Louisiana Tech (29-7) held a 26-point lead in the first half before holding off a late comeback by Georgia (20-14) for a 79-71 victory in the second round.
• NCAA Division III championship: Quardell Young drove the length of the court for a go-ahead layup with 0.9 seconds left as Wisconsin-Whitewater (29-4) held off Williams to win their second national championship in three years 75-73.
• TCU women’s golf: Sanna Nuutinen tied for eighth individually and TCU finished 13th after the final round of the LSU Tiger Golf Classic in Baton Rouge, La.
• North Texas softball: The Mean Green swept its series with UT El Paso behind a second consecutive complete game by starting pitcher Lauren Poole in an 11-4 victory. Brooke Foster hit her fourth home run in the last four days in the third inning. Bryana Wade also homered.
• UTA softball: The Mavs dropped the first two games to open Sun Belt Conference play against No. 13 South Alabama, losing the first game 9-0, and the second 8-0.