Randy Galloway, the longtime host of Galloway & Company on KESN/103.3 FM ESPN Radio, says he plans to retire from the station at the end of the year.
Galloway, a 28-year broadcasting veteran, said that this plan has been in the works for a while, and it has nothing to do with Cumulus Media’s taking over management of the station. Cumulus owns rival sports station KTCK/1310 AM “The Ticket,” and has entered into a local marketing agreement, or LMA, with ESPN Audio to operate 103.3 FM. ESPN will still own the station.
Although he initially declined to discuss his retirement plans or anything about the management change, Galloway said he hasn’t made his retirement decision a secret.
“I told the ESPN people, both [national] and local, over a year ago that I was retiring at the end of this current contract, which is Dec. 31,” Galloway said. “I want to give them plenty of notice to get a replacement in place. So there’s now basically five months to go on the contract. And nothing has changed about my plans to retire.”
Never miss a local story.
Galloway has been with the station since 2003, and was previously at WBAP/820 AM for almost 20 years.
“The only impact with this news about the [management change] is that I have great concern for everyone here,” Galloway said. “That’s 50-60 people who don’t have the option that I have. There’s a lot of uncertainty remaining.”
Dan Bennett, vice president/market manager for Cumulus Dallas, says Cumulus has no plans to change the format or on-air staff. The station will retain a mix of national and local shows, but the LMA has led to speculation that changes could be coming to the local shows and that The Ticket could move to the 103.3 frequency.
Galloway said he believes that the stations will remain at their current homes.
He also said he hasn’t ruled out some sort of radio future. He said that Cumulus has not discussed his plans with him yet.
Galloway said ESPN’s national headquarters in Bristol, Conn., has been in touch with him about national radio and TV gigs after he retires, and he’s considering his options, but would only work on a part-time basis.
He declined to discuss his plans for his newspaper column, which he has been writing for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram since 1998. He previously wrote for The Dallas Morning News.