Cowboys likely sitting Romo for preseason opener given condition of offensive line
08/02/2013 4:33 PM
08/02/2013 5:50 PM
Quarterback Tony Romo will likely not play in Sunday’s preseason opener. Coach Jason Garrett declined to address Romo’s playing time, but gave broad indications that he wouldn’t, along with other starters, especially because of the team’s extra preseason game this year.
“Typically you don’t play a lot in the first preseason game of the four-game preseason schedule,” he said. “You’re going to see a lot of the younger guys play a lot in this ballgame.”
Garrett said the condition of the offensive line was considered. The Cowboys won’t have either of their starting guards from last year, Nate Livings and Mackenzy Bernadeau, in the game. Livings underwent knee surgery Friday, and Bernadeau had missed all of camp before Friday.
Also, backup guard Kevin Kowalski and backup tackle Jermey Parnell are out with injuries, and one of the players signed to help with the offensive line – Jeff Olson – is sidelined by a concussion and an eye injury.
“Certainly the environment you have for any of the players you are playing, you want it to be favorable. You want it to be somewhat similar to what they’re going to play in the first night of the season against the Giants,” Garrett said. “So that applies to Tony. But it applies to everybody.”
-- Carlos Mendez
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.