Rangers scheduled to meet with Napoli on Wednesday
11/27/2012 11:34 PM
11/27/2012 11:45 PM
The Texas Rangers did not meet with catcher Mike Napoli on Tuesday, said a club official, but they will today as the team attempts to address one of its primary needs this off-season.
Another source had told the Star-Telegram that the sides had met Tuesday without any financial terms being discussed, but that information was later contradicted.
Napoli and his agent, Brian Grieper, have already met with officials from Seattle and Boston as he tests free agency for the first time in his career.
Napoli is said to be seeking a four-year contract that the Rangers seem hesitant to give him after his production dropped off significantly in 2012 after having a career year in 2011.
The Rangers offered Napoli a three-year extension worth $38 million last off-season, but Napoli declined. The Rangers declined to offer him a one-year $13.3 million qualifying offer earlier this month after determining that was too high a price tag.
Their thinking, though, could change if they aren't able to find a better deal with another free agent or find a trading partner.
Jeff Wilson, 817-390-7760
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.