Rangers ask Arlington not to hold celebration this time
10/29/2011 4:08 PM
11/12/2014 2:28 PM
ARLINGTON -- There will be no World Series celebration in Arlington this year after the Rangers lost to the St. Louis Cardinals in seven games.
Mayor Robert Cluck said representatives from the ballclub preferred not to have a public celebration, a decision that city officials are respecting.
“We are very proud of them,” Cluck said. “Last year, we did have a celebration because it was our first trip there. They still deserve our praise and celebration for getting us there again.”
Last year, a rally for the Rangers was held just outside Rangers Ballpark in Arlington. Several thousand fans showed up for the mid-week bash celebrating the team’s season and first World Series appearance. The Rangers lost to the San Francisco Giants in five games.
Rangers spokesman John Blake said the team had decided before the Series began that unless they brought a title back to North Texas, there would be no rally.
"We just felt last year was a special time because we were going for the first time in the history of the franchise," Blake said. "We felt that making it for the second year in a row, unless we won, we wouldn't have a celebration. Our expectations are higher now, so that's the way we felt was the most appropriate way to handle it.
“While going to World Series back to back is something we'll cherish, we felt we should only celebrate if there was a Series win.”
Cluck said he was disappointed there wouldn’t be an official celebration, but said he understood the team’s decision.
“The last couple of days were particularly tough for everyone, especially Thursday, but even more so for the players,” Cluck said, referring to the painfully close Game 6, in which the Rangers twice were one strike away from winning the title.
“They were in strong contention to be the world champions. That team is a terrific team with great players, great managers, great owners, and that combination will get us there one day,” Cluck said. “Maybe next year is the year.”
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.