02/05/2014 5:42 PM
02/05/2014 5:43 PM
Here’s a five-step fix for the United States:
1) Term limits for all elected officials. It works for the president, and it would work for Congress. It would eliminate the constant pandering for re-election that starts the moment someone takes office.
2) A flat tax. No more IRS 1,000-page tax codes that allow special exemptions for anything. You pay to play.
3) All laws passed by Congress apply to Congress. No exceptions, even with parking tickets and driving under the influence citations.
4) Re-institute the draft. You pay to play.
5) Move the United Nations to Bermuda. No more of the New York lifestyle. Maybe it would become a functioning entity again.
If even one of these ideas was ever enacted, the change in our country would be immense. Unfortunately, the very people whom these ideas would impact the most are the ones that would have to enact them. I don’t see that ever happening.
— Steve Stewart, Fort Worth
Submit a Letter or Cheer/Jeer
Verification: Letters must include author's full name, address and day and home phone numbers for verification purposes only.
Frequency: Writers are limited to one letter every 30 days.
Content: Suggested letter length is 200 words or less. Please limit your Cheer or Jeer to 50 words or less.
Items may be edited. All submissions to the Star-Telegram will become the property of the Star-Telegram.
Questions: Call 817-390-7830 or contact Mike Norman, Editorial Page Director at email@example.com
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.