There’s only one way to describe the sheer volume of internet porn consumed in the Lone Star State last year.
Texas-sized, according to the experts at Pornhub.
Texans made their state No. 2 in the U.S. in total visits to the pornography site that claims in its annual (safe-for-work) report to have gotten nearly a billion visits per month in 2017.
But that’s merely a reflection of Texas being the country’s second-most populous state. Per capita, Texans look at the ninth-most porn in the country, according to Pornhub’s self-reported site visits.
Never miss a local story.
Texas’ neighbors in the north in Oklahoma seem to hold a little truer to their Bible-belt identity, and rank 46th in per capita porn views.
The full state-by-state rankings were not made publicly available as part of the site’s 2017 year in review. They’ll be published separately in the coming weeks. Here’s what we do know, though:
Washington D.C. gets the distinction of watching more porn per capita than any state in the country, followed by Illinois, Georgia and Nevada. Folks in Arkansas view the least porn, per capita.
According to the Kansas City Star, Missouri ranked 22nd in the U.S. in per capita Pornhub visits in 2017, while Kansas fell somewhere in the bottom half of the rankings. That’s notable because Kansas topped the nation in a similar data set tabulating the site’s visits across 2013 (that report came out in 2014).
But just look at what else these numbers say about how much internet porn people watch as a general trend.
When Kansans watched more porn in 2013 than residents of any other state, the numbers suggested 194 visits per capita in that state. Texans this year visited Pornhub URLs 250 times per capita, more than 20 percent higher than Kansas’ previous high-water mark.
But, again, in 2017, those 250 visits per capita were only good enough for ninth-most in the U.S. Washington D.C.’s 2017 high-water mark was 311 per capita views.
Porno pageviews, it appears, are going in one direction and one direction only.
Other findings from Pornhub’s 2017 year in review, and other stat-dumps:
- Americans who visited Pornhub URLs spent an average of 10 minutes, 33 seconds on the site. Texans were just about average there, spending 10 minutes, 31 seconds per visit, while Oklahomans preferred a few seconds longer on the page, averaging 10 minutes, 52 seconds per visit.
- Mississippi residents spend the most time on Pornhub URLs per visit: 11 minutes, 33 seconds; while Kansans spend the least time: 8 minutes, 58 seconds.
- Pornhub claims to have hosted more than 81 million site visitors per day in 2017. That’s 29.5 billion for the year.
- In 2017, more than 595,000 hours of porno were uploaded to the site — the equivalent of 68 years’ worth.
- Millennials (ages 25-34) accounted for 32 percent of Pornhub’s 2017 traffic, the most of any age group.
- 76 percent of viewers watch Pornhub on mobile devices.
- The top trending Pornhub search term in 2017 was “porn for women.”
- The most commonly misspelled search term in Texas and three other states is “Lesbiam.” Users in 16 states including New York and California misspell “porm” more often than any other search term.
- The U.S. refers more web traffic to Pornhub URLs than any other country by a wide margin. The United Kingdom is second in raw volume, followed by India, Japan, Canada and France.