Abbott, Davis agree to second debate
09/03/2014 11:11 PM
09/03/2014 11:12 PM
There will be a late September debate after all between gubernatorial hopefuls Greg Abbott and Wendy Davis.
Davis’ campaign announced Wednesday that it had agreed to a Sept. 30 debate in Dallas with Abbott that will be sponsored by KERA/Channel 13, KXAS/Channel 5, Telemundo 39 and The Dallas Morning News.
The candidates are also scheduled to debate Sept. 19 in McAllen. But they have had a little trouble recently agreeing on a debate in North Texas.
Davis and Abbott had agreed to a debate sponsored by WFAA/Channel 8, but Abbott backed out of that on Friday because of what one of his advisers said was “an inability to agree on specific details of the format.” The debate was to be a roundtable conversation with no specific time limits for candidate remarks. The Texas Tribune had been a partner with WFAA for that debate.
WFAA will no longer pursue a debate because of Abbott’s unwillingness to cooperate, said Mike Devlin, WFAA’s president and general manager.
“We expect people running for the governorship to behave in an honorable fashion,” Devlin said. “At a certain point when you are dealing with somebody who doesn’t keep commitments, why would we keep going back?”
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.