Twenty firefighters were exposed to hazardous chemicals in a commercial structure fire Saturday night, but fire officials said no symptoms of contamination have developed.
Portions of bunker gear will be tested to identify and determine exposure levels, Battalion Chief Richard Harrison said Saturday night in a news release.
“Firefighters will be given access to further medical evaluation pending definitive information on exposure levels,” Harrison said. “No firefighters are symptomatic at this time.”
Chemicals at Jar-Tex included calcium hypochlorite, sodium cyanide, sodium chromate, sulfuric acid, 35 percent hydrogen peroxide, and phosphoric acid.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters responded to the fire at 405 E. Daggett Ave. shortly before 8:30 p.m. Saturday. Fire officials said Jar-Tex is a metal finishing company.
No one was at the plant at the time, and firefighters had to force their way in, Harrison said.
Firefighters extinguished the fire in the east factory area of the company in less than 15 minutes. Damage to the building was estimated at $3,000.
The department’s hazardous materials team also responded.
Harrison said tools including radios, hoses and trucks were decontaminated on site.
Investigators determined that the fire was accidental.