July 10, 2014

Survivor of vicious attack in Fort Worth testifies against rapist

Juan Olmos, a rapist who stabbed his victim more than 12 times and sexually assaulted her for more than two hours, was sentenced to life in prison.

A teen who broke into a woman’s residence and sexually assaulted her for two hours before stabbing her repeatedly was sentenced to life in prison on Wednesday.

The jury took 12 minutes before convicting Juan Olmos, 18, of Fort Worth, earlier on Wednesday, then deliberated another half-hour before assessing the life sentence, according to a news release from the Tarrant County district attorney’s office. Olmos must serve 30 years of his sentence before becoming eligible for parole, the release said.

Olmos broke into the woman’s residence in the 7500 block of Marlinda Circle in south Fort Worth about 4:30 a.m. on July 30, 2013, and assaulted her, according to evidence presented by prosecutors Tim Bednarz and Sheila Wynn in state District Judge Mollee Westfall’s court.

Olmos, naked from the waist down and wielding a knife, was holding a roll of duct tape that he used to wrap the woman’s eyes, mouth, ankles and wrists, the release said. But the tape slipped off the woman’s eyes and she was able to see her attacker and the knife, which he had put down, the release said.

The woman, identified by the pseudonym Alana Peters during the trial, grabbed the knife and tried to stab her attacker, but he took the knife back from her and stabbed her more than a dozen times, the release said. During the struggle, the knife handle broke off and the two fought over the blade, according to the release.

Peters testified that she fought as hard as she could, grabbing and squeezing Olmos’ testicles at one point and literally trying to “rip them off,” the release said. Peters broke away from Olmos and ran for the door, but he grabbed her and pulled her back inside, the release said.

Peters, covered in blood and exhausted, testified that she grew weary of the fight and played dead, and as she lay on the floor, Olmos spit in her face, leaving behind his DNA, the release said. After Olmos fled, Peters went outside for help and a neighbor walking his dog saw her and called 911, the release said.

Investigators searching for the perpetrator found a man matching his description in Peters’ neighborhood wearing black rosary beads identical to the ones worn by her attacker. Detectives saw injuries to Olmos’ shoulder, hands and neck which were consistent with the areas where Peters said she stabbed her attacker and consistent with wounds made while clutching a knife blade, the release said.

Peters identified Olmos’ picture from a photo array and he was later identified through his DNA. Peters suffered 19 stab wounds which damaged her heart, lung, liver, diaphragm and throat. Peters had surgery and remained in the hospital for more than a week. Peters still suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder, the release said.

“I think everyone was deeply moved by the courage that this victim showed -- not only by fighting off her attacker but by facing him in court,” Bednarz said. “Every woman’s worst nightmare is finding themselves home alone being attacked by a rapist wielding a knife and roll of duct tape. We are thankful that Juan Olmos will never be a nightmare for anyone else again.”

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos