June 17, 2014

Fort Worth police seek leads in 1995 slaying

The victim staggered to a neighbor’s apartment, telling the resident that an attacker had stabbed him for his money, according to a 1995 Star-Telegram article.

Police are asking for the public’s help in identifying a man suspected of robbing and fatally stabbing a 48-year-old man inside his apartment 19 years ago.

James Earl Harris was covered in blood when he staggered to a neighbor’s apartment in the 2400 block of McCurdry Street on May 1, 1995, telling the resident that an attacker had stabbed him for his money, according to a 1995 Star-Telegram article about the slaying.

The neighbor, according to police then, told the injured man to go home and call police.

Harris returned to his apartment and did just that, reporting to police that he had been stabbed several times. He was taken to a local hospital but died from his injuries less than eight hours later.

Witnesses told police at the time that they had seen Harris with an unidentified man who had been loitering in the Park Terrace Apartments earlier that day.

On Tuesday, police released video and photographs of Harris and the man who they suspect killed him walking into the Stop-N-Shop convenience store at 2601 S. Riverside Drive a little more than an hour before the stabbing.

Cold case Detective Kerry Adcock said the store’s surveillance cameras captured the victim and suspect walking into the store at 1:17 p.m. that day, and then leaving together.

The pair were then seen together at 1:55 p.m. sitting on the victim’s porch and drinking the beers that they had apparently just purchased at the store. The 911 call about the stabbing was made by 2:30 p.m., Adcock said.

The images had been previously released by police in a Crime Stoppers bulletin in 2005 but led to no identification of a suspect.

The suspect, who is seen holding the door for Harris as the men entered the store, is described as a black man, then in his late 20s or early 30s, He was thin, between 5 feet 8 inches and 6 feet tall, with reddish-brown hair and a thin mustache. He was wearing a multicolored striped shirt and tan pants and is believed to have been living in the Woodhaven area at the time of the crime.

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos