Marijuana charge dismissed against TCU receiver

05/27/2014 12:27 PM

05/27/2014 9:58 PM

A marijuana possession charge against TCU wide receiver Brandon Carter was dismissed Tuesday, court records show.

Carter, 21, was arrested April 22 after Fort Worth police pulled over a 2010 Lexus he was driving in the 1600 block of Calhoun Street in downtown Fort Worth.

Police made the stop after checking the license plate and finding that Alexis Harris, the car’s owner and a passenger in the car, had an outstanding warrant.

Both were arrested on suspicion of possessing less than 2 ounces of marijuana. Harris, a 22-year-old junior who left the TCU women’s soccer team last fall, was also held on two traffic warrants. Carter was charged with marijuana possession April 23.

Tarrant County court records show that the charge was dismissed at the prosecutors’ discretion.

The Tarrant County district attorney’s office issued a statement Tuesday afternoon, saying: “Upon further review, this office determined the evidence was insufficient to prosecute Carter. He was merely the driver of a vehicle owned by a passenger. His case was dismissed on Friday, May 23.”

The decision does not affect the case against Harris, spokeswoman Melody McDonald said in the statement.

Carter’s attorney, Michael Schneider, said the charge was dismissed after police body camera videos of the traffic stop showed that the marijuana was in Harris’ purse, not in Carter’s possession.

“It was really a situation where Brandon was in the wrong place at the wrong time,” Schneider said.

He said the district attorney’s office “did the right thing.”

“They looked at the evidence and said there’s not evidence he was possessing any of this marijuana,” Schneider said. “Based on that, they dismissed the charge. There’s no sense in dragging this kid through the mud when they know they didn’t have a case.”

TCU spokeswoman Lisa Albert said students alleged to have violated the university’s code of conduct can have a disciplinary hearing “to determine personal responsibility.”

“This is separate and apart from anything the student may face legally,” she said in an email.

The outcome of such a hearing, she said, is not public record.

She referred questions about any consequences faced by Carter in the football program to Mark Cohen, a spokesman for the athletic department.

There has been “no change in his status,” Cohen said. “He is a member of the program.”

Schneider said, “They were going to give him some time to clear his name. From the beginning, he’s been adamant it wasn’t on him and it wasn’t his. … Hopefully, they don’t take any further action against him.”

Carter, a graduate of Euless Trinity High School, came to TCU — selecting the Fort Worth college over Oklahoma — with much promise.

He was expected to be one of the top playmakers for the Horned Frogs in 2013 after finishing the 2012 season with 36 catches for 590 yards and six touchdowns.

But after a season plagued by erratic play, Carter was granted a leave of absence in November. He finished the season with 31 catches for 370 yards but no touchdowns after compiling nine in his first two seasons.

Before his arrest, Carter did not participate in spring practice so that he could focus on school.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service