2 sentenced for role in slaying of disabled man in Grapevine
05/21/2014 11:08 AM
05/21/2014 6:58 PM
Two men have been sentenced for their involvement in the 2012 slaying of a disabled Grapevine man who was beaten with his walker and stabbed.
Brion Lamar Wooden, 21, of Grapevine was sentenced to eight years in prison, and Deron Hall, 23, of Dallas got eight years’ probation with deferred adjudication on burglary charges related to the killing of Kenneth Alberts, 59.
Last month, Jerry Temple, 33, who killed Alberts, pleaded guilty to a capital murder charge and was sentenced to life without parole.
Hall and Wooden pleaded guilty last week to charges of burglary of a habitation. They had been indicted on capital murder charges.
“Both defendants took responsibility for their conduct, which was conspiracy to commit burglary,” prosecutor Robert Foran said in an email. “Jerry Temple, the killer of Kenneth Alberts, took responsibility for his conduct and testified in court that the two younger men were unaware that he was armed. They could not have anticipated Temple’s brutal and senseless murder of Mr. Alberts.”
Alberts, who also used a wheelchair, was in his apartment at The Lakes of Williamsburg complex in Grapevine on Aug. 15, 2012, when Temple and the two co-defendants entered on the pretext of asking him for beer money, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.
Temple “lost it,” the affidavit said, stabbing Alberts in the neck and beating him with his walker. Alberts tried to defend himself with his hands and arms as he lay on the floor, according to the affidavit.
Alberts was found dead the next morning by a visiting physical therapist.
Temple and Hall were arrested Aug. 19 and Wooden on Aug. 20. The men had tried to sell a flat-screen TV stolen from Alberts to residents in the neighborhood, Grapevine police said.
“There was conflicting information as to which of the co-defendants entered the apartment with Temple,” Foran said. “However, Wooden assisted Temple in the subsequent sale of the victim’s property. Based on the killer’s total acceptance of responsibility for Kenneth Albert’s murder and his testimony about the co-defendants’ lack of knowledge, we believe this was an appropriate result.”
This report includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.