February 20, 2014

Arlington hit-and-run suspect nabbed at DFW Airport

A 25-year-old man was taken into custody Wednesday night as he attempted to flee the country, Arlington police said.

The man accused in the hit-and-run case that left an elderly Arlington man seriously injured parked his damaged car at his father’s home after telling him that he was having transmission problems, according to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by the Star-Telegram on Thursday.

Omar Mohammed then drove his father’s vehicle for the next several days before federal and local authorities arrested him Wednesday night at Dallas-Fort Worth Airport where he was trying to catch a flight to flee the country, authorities said.

Mohammed was attempting to board a plane to Jordan about 9 p.m. when DFW police and agents with U.S. Customs took him into custody without incident, Arlington police said.

Mohammed was captured just hours after authorities had secured an arrest warrant accusing him of being the driver who ran over 73-year-old Terry Pinkston of Arlington Saturday morning as Pinkston was walking on a sidewalk.

Pinkston was hit from behind about 7:30 a.m. Saturday in the 2400 block of Ascension Boulevard, police said. A passer-by helped Pinkston and called 911, police said.

Mohammed was in the Arlington Jail on Thursday with bail set at $250,000. Conditions of his bail included that he surrender his passport and wear an ankle monitor.

He faces a felony charge of failure to stop and render aid in an accident involving serious bodily injury, police said.

An anonymous tip led police to a vehicle on Tuesday that was thought to have been involved in the case.

“Without the tips received in this case, this would have remained a challenging investigation,” Arlington police Lt. Christopher Cook said in a news release.

Detectives found the vehicle, a blue Honda Civic, about 3 p.m. Tuesday in Arlington at the home of Mohammed’s father in the 200 block of Slaughter Street. Glass fragments were found inside the car, a dent was detected on the right side of the hood and damage was seen near the right front tire, according to the affidavit.

The tipster had told authorities that a damaged window was on the car Saturday morning, but it had been replaced by 1 p.m. that day.

Witnesses told police that Mohammed was a mechanic at a Dallas automobile shop.

On the day that the car was found, Arlington police interviewed Mohammed’s father, who told them that his son and his daughter-in-law lived at the Verandah Apartments at Ascension Boulevard and Green Oaks Boulevard, a short distance from where Pinkston had been hit.

Mohammed’s father said his son claimed that the Honda Civic had a knock in the transmission and that he was leaving it there on Slaughter Street.

Security cameras at the apartment complex where Mohammed and his wife live showed Mohammed driving away from the complex about a minute before Pinkston was hit, according to the affidavit. The hit-and-run incident occurred about a block from the apartment complex.

Pinkston suffered a head injury and his leg had a puncture wound, according to an affidavit. He was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth and was found to have broken ribs, pelvis and vertebrae. He was released from the hospital Wednesday afternoon.

On Wednesday, based on the vehicle information and video from the security camera, Arlington police got an arrest warrant for Mohammed and notified federal agents at about 5:30 p.m. that the 25-year-old was a flight risk.

This report includes material from Star-Telegram archives.

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos