January 15, 2014

Man pleads guilty to giving heroin to women who overdosed, died

Misael “Irving” Perla, 25, pleaded guilty to possessing and providing the drugs that caused the fatal overdoses in 2012 of Alexandra Julia Moreno, 20, of Irving, and Cassidy Seward, 18, of Grapevine.

When Misael “Irving” Perla couldn’t get Alexandra Julia Moreno to wake up after supplying her with heroin, he put her in the bed of his pickup and drove to Baylor Medical Center of Irving.

on the morning of July 13, 2012, and

He left her at the emergency room where the 20-year-old Irving woman later died, according to documents obtained by the Star-Telegram Wednesday.

So the 25-year-old heroin dealer

Days later, Perla, 25, supplied 18-year-old Cassidy Seward of Grapevine with heroin, in part to keep her from getting sick from withdrawal while she stayed with him at his mother’s house in Irving.

On the morning of Aug. 27, 2012, Perla dropped Seward off at her mother’s Grapevine home where she injected heroin, collapsed and later died at a hospital.

Those are two cases that Perla, nicknamed “the Weasel” admitted to being involved with in the summer 2012. On Tuesday in a Dallas federal hearing, he pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of heroin with intent to distribute, the use of which caused the deaths of Seward and Moreno. Sentencing for Perla, also known as “Weasel,” is pending.

Perla faces a maximum on each count of 20 years in prison and a $5 million fine.

Federal court documents obtained Wednesday provided some details of the cases against Perla.

Moreno had met Perla at a club, and the 20-year-old was staying with him at his mother’s home in Irving. On the night of July 12, 2012, Perla provided her with heroin and then watched as she used it in front of him, according to the court documents.

Later that night and into the early morning hours, Perla attempted several times to wake Moreno up, becoming concerned that she had overdosed on the drug.

After he dropped her off at the Irving hospital, Moreno died and a subsequent autopsy report concluded that she “died as the result of the toxic effects of heroin,” according to the federal documents.

Perla had a longtime relationship with Seward and she came to stay with him on the night of Aug. 26, 2012. Federal agents say Perla knew that Seward used heroin and that she would take some of his supply that he maintained to distribute for profit in the area.

Perla allowed Seward to take some heroin the next morning when she left to go back to her mother’s Grapevine home.

Shortly after she arrived, Seward walked into a bathroom and injected some of the heroin that she had received from Perla. Her family found her unresponsive and called 911. She was taken to a hospital where she later died. A subsequent autopsy report stated that Seward accidentally died from the “mixed drug toxicity” of heroin and methamphetamine.

Federal documents allege that Perla and Hugo “Juice” Sanchez worked together in drug trafficking in North Texas in the summers of 2011 and 2012. On Sept. 13, 2012, agents seized 200 grams of cocaine, 70 grams of heroin, 20 grams of methamphetamine, an AK-47 rifle, an SKS rifle, two pistols, digital scales and other paraphernalia used in drug distribution from a trailer home in Arlington where Sanchez lived.

Sanchez was indicted on federal charges that he supplied heroin that resulted in the 2011 deaths of Henry Buchanan Wiley II, 21, of Irving and Robert Andrew Nugent II, 21, of Coppell. He also was indicted on several federal drug and firearms charges.

A trial is scheduled on Jan. 27 in Dallas for Sanchez.

Staff writer Bill Miller contributed to this report.

Related content


Editor's Choice Videos