Fire causes evacuation of Arlington hotel near ballpark

12/27/2013 9:45 AM

12/27/2013 9:46 AM

Guests were evacuated from the Howard Johnson Express Inn near Rangers Ballpark in Arlington early Friday morning after a fire broke out on the upper floors, officials said.

One person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and then released, and no other injuries were reported, said Lt. Lee Tovar, Arlington Fire Department spokesman.

Hotel management let guests return to their rooms to retrieve belongings at about 9 a.m., but guests were not allowed to stay in their rooms until a damage assessment could be made, Tovar said.

Firefighters were alerted to the fire at about 6:40 a.m. at the hotel located at 2001 E. Copeland Rd. When firefighters arrived, they saw fire and smoke coming out of the fourth-floor balcony, Tovar said.

The fire was contained in about 15 minutes, but there was heavy smoke damage to the fourth and fifth floors, Tovar said.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service