The Dallas Mavericks could use a few more shots like the one Brock's Amery Hughes made in the Mavericks' home arena recently.
Hughes nailed a 3-point basket that was past the NBA distance of 23.75 feet as the buzzer sounded to lift the Eagles to a 52-49 victory against Hillsboro. The game was part of the Mavericks' annual Court of Dreams series in which high school games are played at the American Airlines Center.
The Eagles (3-0) also participated in the event last season, defeating Bowie 50-44.
Brock 52, Hillsboro 49
at American Airlines Center
▪ Brock leading scorers: Taylor Perry 16, Garrett Leek 13.
Brock 51, Fort Worth Christian 37
▪ Brock leading scorers: Perry 19, Scott Thomas 8.
▪ Brock record: 3-0.
Peaster 55, Springtown 28
▪ Peaster leading scorers: Books Pennington 28, Braedon Smith 14.
▪ Coach Derron Smith's comments: "I still feel like we're learning how to play with each other on offense. Defense has been good so far this early in the year."
▪ Notable: The Greyhounds are outscoring their opponents by an average of 56-36.
▪ Peaster record: 3-0.
Poolville 42, Millsap 32
▪ Poolville leading scorers: Landon Smith 11, Roy McCleery 9, Ruben Rodriguez 8.
▪ Millsap leading scorer: Spencer Auld 9.
▪ Poolville record: 2-1.
▪ Millsap record: 1-5.
Eastern Hills 68, Weatherford 63
▪ Weatherford leading scorers: Grayson Stinson 30, Jacob Huffman 7.
▪ Notable: Kangaroos led 18-9 after the first quarter, but were outscored 19-5 in the third quarter.
▪ Coach Charles Tatum comments: "Eastern Hills destroyed us on the glass, foul trouble."
▪ Weatherford record: 1-2.