The Weatherford College Board of Trustees voted to propose an ad valorem tax rate of 11.948 cents per $100 valuation for the 2017-18 budget year during their Thursday meeting. This rate is a decrease from the current rate of 12.019 cents.
Due to an increase in Parker County property valuations, the new tax rate would generate an additional $1,074,176 in revenue for the college. This is an increase of 7 percent over the current year’s property tax revenues.
All board members said they felt comfortable with a 7 percent increase in revenue since the extra funds will aid in much-needed technological upgrades and equipment updates.
“The entire staff has done a great job on the budget,” said Board Chairman Mac Smith.
Never miss a local story.
Two public hearings are required before the board can take action on adopting the rate. Hearings are scheduled for noon Tuesday, Aug. 15, and 5 p.m. Monday, Aug. 21. Both meetings will take place in the Mince Board Room located on the second floor of the Mince Administration Building.
The final tax rate will be adopted during a noon meeting on Friday, Aug. 25, also in the Mince Board Room.
In other business the board:
▪ Approved the financial reports ending May 31 and June 30.
▪ Approved the quarterly investment report.
▪ Approved the renewal of sealed bid for intercollegiate athletic insurance.
▪ Approved bids on food service products and supplies for 2017-18.
▪ Approved bids on color and web printing services for 2017-18.
▪ Approved sealed proposals for insurance coverages, loss control and risk management services.
▪ Approved setting dates for board meetings for the next year.
▪ Approved TASB policy service update 32.
▪ Appointed board member Lela Morris as the college’s representative on the Weatherford Economic Development Authority Board.
▪ Named Sue Coody as the board’s representative on WC’s 150th Anniversary Steering Committee.
▪ Discussed traffic patterns on campus, specifically in the west parking lot.
In his president’s report, Interim President Brent Baker:
Provided an enrollment update for the summer semesters. Summer saw a 14 percent increase in the number of students from the previous year with a total of 1,904 students. Contact hours for this semester also increased by 8 percent. Summer II figures also saw an increase of 7 percent in overall enrollment and 15 percent in contact hours.
Announced the retirement of Kay Young, Dean of Workforce and Continuing Education, and the resignation of Amanda Ward, vocational nursing instructor.