Everyone has been talking about how hot it is, but if I stay inside most of the day, I can attend to almost endless amounts of jobs I have been putting off for some time. Of course the watering outside has to be done very early in the morning or wake up about 4 a.m. to run the sprinkler system!
Some good recipes have come my way that are not only delicious but easy. No one needs to be cooking in a kitchen that will only heat up the house. Even the Mikester and my son are refusing to grill out, and THAT doesn't happen very often!
Thompson Style Thousand Island Dressing
• This is delicious on plain chilled lettuce, with a summer tomato cut up on top.
• 1/3 cup Hellman's or Duke's Mayonnaise
• 1 hard-cooked egg, finely chopped
• 1/2 cup chili sauce (found near the catsups)
• 1 Tablespoon chopped pimiento stuffed green olive
• 1 Tablespoon chopped dill pickle
• 1 teaspoon grated onion
• 1 eight-ounce cup Dannon plain yogurt
This makes 2 cups dressing.
Smoked Turkey and Bacon Salad
I like to use Boar's Head turkey from the deli counter.
We buy bacon that has had no nitrites or nitrates added for curing. (We use it quickly and freeze slices for later.)
• 8 thick slices bacon-cooked crisp and crumbled into small pieces-about 1 cup
• 4 cups cubed smoked turkey
• 1 and 1/2 cups chopped celery
• 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
• 1/2 to 1 cup good mayonnaise such as Hellman's OR Duke's
I have also used this as a sandwich filling or placed inside a scooped out tomato.
Easy Cool and Quick Cottage Cheese Salad
Mike bought a carton of cottage cheese and I knew what he was thinking after he took out a can of sliced pineapple and a jar of cherries!
In a small salad bowl, place a rinsed and dried lettuce leaf. On top of the leaf, using an ice cream scoop, top the leaf with a scoop of cottage cheese, topped by one slice of pineapple and place a cherry in the middle of the pineapple slice. Chill until ready to eat.
We have used fresh pineapple cut in chunks on top of the cottage cheese with one cherry on top.
The Farmer's Markets continue to deliver the best and freshest tomatoes, okra, squashes and black-eyed peas. Let's enjoy and can or freeze now, so we'll be celebrating this winter! Keep RAIN on our "Wish List" this week.