It's been another cold and somewhat dreary winter week but we did enjoy trying out some more good recipes. If you see one you might like to try, please clip and save it to your recipe box.
I just checked and the tulips are coming up and the red color is supposed to be gorgeous! We need the landscape color right now.
Thompson's Taco Pot Pie
This satisfies that craving for a taste of Mexican food without going out to eat.
• 1 pound ground beef (We prefer grass fed organic.)
• 1 package (1 and 1/4 ounces) taco seasoning mix
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 can (8 ounce) beans (Choose from: kidney, pinto, OR black beans)
• 1 cup chopped tomato
• 3/4 cup frozen corn-thawed
• 3/4 cup frozen peas-thawed
• 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
• 1 package (11.5 ounces) refrigerated corn breadsticks
Unwrap cornbread dough, separate into 16 strips. Twist strips, cutting to fit skillet. Arrange attractively over meat mixture (like spokes in a wheel) then press ends of dough lightly to edges of skillet to secure. Bake 15 minutes or until corn bread is golden brown and meat mixture is bubbly.
This makes 4-6 servings.
Dee Dee's Fresh Broccoli Salad
I am always trying new ways to enjoy veggies without steaming them; this is a fresh and delicious way to eat broccoli.
• 2 bunches fresh broccoli
• 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
• 2/3 cup raisins
• 1/2 purple onion-chopped
• 1 cup mayonnaise (We use Hellman's or Duke's.)
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
• Wash, drain and cut broccoli into bite-sized pieces.
The recipe I used to use called for more bacon but I cut it down. We have been buying bacon with no sodium nitrites or nitrates and then freezing several slices and using them as needed.
It makes 8 servings and you can make it in the morning for dinner later that evening.
Coconut Lover's Cloud Cookies
If you enjoy coconut like we do-this is something you must try!
• 2 2/3 cup flaked coconut-divided
• 1 package Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classis Yellow Cake Mix
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup water
• 1 teaspoon almond extract
This makes about 3 and 1/2 dozen cookies.
What Grandma didn't teach me:
To save time when forming dough into balls, use a 1-inch spring-operated cookie scoop.
To keep bouquets of flowers fresher and longer, try trimming every stem off daily and refreshing the water in the vase. You'll be surprised how much longer you can enjoy your flowers. I recently was given a dozen red roses and I used this method and they stayed beautiful for two weeks!
Have another good week in Parker County. It's a great time to buy or order from the seed catalogs. Walk outside and plan a new area to garden or expand an existing area. It's time to trim roses, as well as any other trees or shrubs that made need a "haircut."