Labor Day was very enjoyable and what a smorgasbord of food. Brisket, potato salad, baked beans and dessert. My husband used the excuse of it being a holiday to go on a eating frenzy. But, little does he know - now it’s salad time.
Try these recipes from the Just Us Cowgirls Cookbook from the Brazos Trails Cowboy Church. You will love them, and truthfully so will he.
Never miss a local story.
▪ 1 head Lettuce (shredded)
▪ 3 cups Turkey (cooked, cubed)
▪ 8 slices Bacon (crispy cooked & crumbled)
▪ 3 Eggs (hard boiled, peeled & sliced)
▪ 2 Tomatoes
▪ 1 Avocado (pitted, peeled & diced)
▪ 3/4 cup Blue Cheese (crumbled)
▪ 1 cup Green Onion (chopped)
▪ 1 bottle (8 oz) Ranch Dressing
1. Divide lettuce among 4 to 6 salad plates.
2. Arrange remaining ingredients except dressing in rows over lettuce.
3. Drizzle with dressing to taste.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
▪ 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
▪ 2 tbsp. Lemon Juice
▪ 1/2 tsp. or more Cayenne Pepper ( to taste)
▪ Salt to taste
▪ 2 bunches Kale (stems & tough ribs removed, VERY finely chopped)
▪ Handful Sliced Raw Almonds
▪ Handful Dried Cranberries
▪ Honey to taste (about 2 tbsp. to start)
The secret to this salad is finely chopping the Kale leaves.
1. In a large bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, honey, and salt.
2. Add the kale, and massage the kale with hands to soften the kale leaves and incorporate the flavors.
3. Add the cranberries, almonds, combine and serve. Even better the next day.
Chicken Caesar Salad
▪ Salad: 6 cups Romaine Lettuce (torn)
▪ 1 lb. Chicken Breast (boneless, skinless, cooked & cut into strips
▪ 2 cups Seasoned Salad Croutons
▪ 3/4 cup Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
▪ 1/2 tsp. Salt
▪ In salad bowl, combine all ingredients. Drizzle dressing over salad. Toss to coat. Serve immediately. yield: 4-6 servings
▪ 6 tbsp. Olive or Vegetable Oil
▪ 1/3 cup Lemon Juice
▪ 3 to 4 cloves Garlic (minced)
▪ 11/4 tsp. Pepper (coarsely ground)
1. In a jar with tight fitting lid, combine oil, lemon juice, garlic and pepper.
2. Shake well. Drizzle over salad.
3. Toss to coat.
Chicken Avocado Salad
▪ 4 Chicken Breasts (cooked & deboned)
▪ 1 cup rice (cooked)
▪ 2 Avocados (peeled & covered in lemon juice)
▪ 2 Green Onions (chopped)
▪ 1/2 cup Celery (chopped)
▪ 2 tbsp. Mayonnaise
▪ 2 tbsp. Sour Cream
▪ 1 tsp. Salt
1. Chop de-boned chicken.
2. Fold in rice, chopped avocado, onions, salt and celery.
3. Mix with mayonnaise mixture and chill.
Yield: 4 servings