As fall begins to approach you may notice some seasonal fruits and vegetables finding their way onto shelves at your favorite farmers market or grocery store. Apples are among my family’s favorite. Be sure and give one of these delicious recipes a try.
Favorite Apple Pie
▪ 6 1/2 c. sliced Granny Smith apples
▪ 1 T. lemon juice
Never miss a local story.
▪ 1/4 c. golden raisins
▪ 1/2 c. sugar
▪ 1/2 c. brown sugar, firmly packed
▪ 1/4 c. flour
▪ 1 tsp. lemon zest
▪ 1 tsp. cinnamon
▪ 3 T. butter
▪ 1 pkg. (15-oz.) refrigerated pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine apples, lemon juice, and raisins in a large bowl, tossing to coat; set aside. 3. Combine 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar, flour, lemon zest, and cinnamon in a small bowl. 4. Spread half of sugar mixture over bottom of pie shell.
5. Spoon apple mixture over sugar mixture; sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
6. Dot with butter.
7. Place top pastry over filling. Fold edges under and flute.
8. Cut several slits in top crust to let out steam.
9. Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until golden brown. Shield edges of pie with aluminum foil to prevent browning.
Cheryl Caudill, 3 Chilies and a Bean
Fresh Apple Salad
▪ 1 1/2 c. apples
▪ 1 c. coats let chopped celery
▪ 1/2 c. raisins
▪ 1 T. mayonnaise
▪ 1 T. sugar
▪ 1/8 tsp. salt
▪ Dash of pepper
1. Combine apple, celery and raisins.
2. Combine mayonnaise, Splenda or sugar, salt and pepper and stir well.
3. Pour over apple mixture and toss gently. Serves 4 to 6.
Joy Williams, Feeding the Flock North Side Baptist Church
▪ 1 1/2 c flour
▪ 1 1/2 c. sugar
▪ 1 stick margarine
▪ 6 to 10 apples
▪ Cinnamon and sugar
▪ 1 heaping T. cornstarch
▪ 1 heaping T. sugar
1. Mix small amounts of cornstarch and sugar together; put in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
2. Add peeled and sliced apples. Put cinnamon and sugar on apples as desired.
3. Mix flour, sugar and margarine together using a pastry cutter. Crumble on top.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until apples peel soft with a fork.
Shannan Grove, Feeding the Flock North Side Baptist Church