Grapevine Heritage Foundation: Winners of Advocacy Awards preserve city’s past
05/19/2014 4:57 PM
05/19/2014 4:58 PM
In honor of National Historic Preservation Month, Grapevine recently announced the 2014 Grapevine Heritage Foundation (GHF) Preservation Advocacy Award winners.
Nominations were accepted in March, winners were selected in April and the awards were presented May 6 to five preservation advocates. Mayor William D. Tate presented the awards at the May 6 City Council meeting, and winners made brief acceptance comments.
Since 2005, the foundation has recognized individuals who have dedicated time and effort into preserving pieces of Grapevine’s history. The winners are:
Contribution of time, talent, vision and/or money by an individual, group or organization committed to saving important landmarks; to include craftsmen, public officials and donors who support preservation or an educator or journalist who helps the community understand the value of historic preservation.
Mary Cal Yates Johnson for her foresight and dedication in conserving Grapevine’s artifacts and sharing with her community the value of historic preservation. A number of Yates family artifacts are on display at Nash Farm and more will soon be placed on display there in the second floor bedrooms.
A project sustaining the existing form, integrity and materials of a historic property.
Eric F. Legge for sustaining the existing form, integrity and materials of the circa 1898 historic H. H. Yancy Farmhouse, 1331 W. Wall St. Wood windows, doors, siding and porch columns were replaced to match the original house design.
Restoration Project Award
A project accurately restored to its period of significance.
Aaron and Rachel Lucht for maintaining a restoration accurate to the period of significance of the circa 1915 historic W. D. Deacon House, 204 S. Dooley St. This historic house was moved into Grapevine’s Historic Township in 2002 from Euless.
Infill Construction Award
New construction following the city of Grapevine design guidelines and criteria to reflect Grapevine’s historic past.
Jay Balding for new construction for the new mid-century modern Balding House, designed by Fort Worth architect Joe Self, 840 E. Worth St., formerly the site of the circa 1953 Willingham House.
Rehabilitation Project Award
A project making compatible use of a property through repair, alterations and additions.
Howard and Nancy Walfield for the compatible use of a property through repair, alterations and additions to the circa 1939 historic Lucas-Deacon-Walfield House, 512 W. College St. The original lumber for the house was from the circa 1869 Grapevine College dormitory building. When the dormitory was no longer needed, lumber from the dormitory was used to build the J. T. Lucas house on East College Street. In 1939, following a fire in the house, the undamaged wood was used to construct a replacement house. In 1950, this house was moved to its current location on West College Street at Scribner.
“Today, the spirit of Grapevine is alive and thriving thanks to the efforts of individuals such as these, as well as the community and the generous financial contributions of foundation members, local and regional corporate giving and proceeds from annual festivals,” said David Klempin, the city’s historic preservation officer and manager.
“It is the goal of the Grapevine Heritage Foundation to continue to protect, preserve and celebrate the rich history of Grapevine for future generations,” he said.
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.