Teen died of smoke inhalation in Colleyville fire, medical examiner rules

06/26/2014 10:23 PM

06/26/2014 10:24 PM

A teenager killed early Tuesday in a Colleyville house fire died of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide, the Tarrant County medical examiner reported Thursday.

The body of Tylar Batchelor, 17, was found in a bathroom at the home. The manner of death has not been determined, according to the medical examiner’s website.

Batchelor had been staying with her brother at the residence in the 3500 block Blue Quail Lane, according to the Cleburne Times-Review.

She would have been a senior at Burleson’s Centennial High School.

Her dog Roxy also died, according to a Youcaring.com website set up to raise money for her family.

The fire started in a storage area on the back patio where chemicals, including some for the swimming pool, were stored, a Colleyville city spokeswoman said Wednesday. Authorities say there was no evidence the fire was intentionally started.

Batchelor was seen going upstairs about 10:30 p.m., officials said. The fire was reported just after 1 a.m.

The teen’s brother, a woman and a baby escaped uninjured, officials said.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service