The Mansfield school board approved $224,000 to repair the damaged transformer at Coble Middle School on Monday.
The school’s transformer caught fire and was destroyed Saturday, along with wiring, shutting down all classes and after-school activities at Coble on Monday and Tuesday. Plans for Wednesday classes are still pending.
“We won’t know until we see the lights go on,” said Donald Williams, the school district spokesperson. “We don’t want the faculty, staff or students to enter the building until we are certain it is safe.”
The district hopes to recoup the cost for the repairs from insurance, but also approved a $25,000 co-pay Monday night, Williams said.
Never miss a local story.
School officials have not determined how the fire started Saturday.
“It was weather related, I know that,” said school board president Michael Evans. “The transformer was destroyed, but it did not affect the building.”
“It’s frustrating for adults, but for the kids it’s a snow day,” Evans said.
The unexpected holiday ended Oct. 28, when Coble Middle School reopened.