Five things to do when rain is expected:
1) Bring in all empty containers from your yard. Empty containers collect water and are excellent breeding areas for mosquitoes.
2) Wait until after the rains have passed to fertilize your lawns. Most fertilizers contain a water-activated component and applying after a rain is an excellent way to get the process started.
3) Pick up pet waste from your yard before the rain start. Pet wastes left on lawns can let bacteria and other pathogens escape your yard and get into our lakes, creeks and ponds.
Never miss a local story.
4) Turn your sprinklers off. There is little reason to use your sprinklers when it is raining.
5) Set garbage and recycling bags or carts in your yard. Every year trash bags and recycling carts are washed into our storm drain system and empty their contents into our lakes, creeks and ponds.