Mansfield’s Cardinal Road was the first paved road in Tarrant County, thanks in part to the Driskell family. In 1911, Fort Worth Star-Telegram court reporter Earle Driskell traveled via motorcycle along a dirt road from Fort Worth to Mansfield to visit his parents and his brother, E.L. Driskell, the Mansfield postmaster. He was so angry about the condition of the road that he began campaigning for a bond election to build the Cardinal Road system from Fort Worth to Mansfield. The Tarrant County Commissioners Court approved a $1 million bond issue with the roads built by one of the engineering firms that built the Panama Canal. The effort resulted in the formation of the Texas Good Roads Association, which later became the Texas Highway Department. Sadly, Earle Driskell never got the chance to own a car and drive Cardinal Road. He died of smallpox shortly after the bonds were approved.