Blessing Funeral Home began operating in 1920. T.E. Blessing inherited the business from his uncle, Andrew Bratton, who started the city’s first funeral home in the late 1800s. Blessing also opened a furniture store on Water (Main) Street in a building owned by Dr. W.B. McKnight. In 1944, McKnight swapped his large white, two-story mansion on Elm Street (site of the former Mansfield Male and Female College) for a smaller home on East Broad Street owned by the Blessings. That land/house swap gave Blessing Funeral Home the location where it still operates at 401 Elm St.