A power outage at James Coble Middle School has canceled classes for two days.
The Mansfield school district canceled school Monday and Tuesday after a transformer caught fire Saturday, destroying it and electrical wiring in the school leaving the facility without electricity.
The school district canceled classes and all after-school activities for the safety of the students.
“The plan is to make sure before we have kids entering the building that we’re able to have electricity and make sure it’s a safe environment for our students,” district spokesman Donald Williams said.
Never miss a local story.
Crews with the school district and Oncor have been working to repair the damage.
No other parts of the school were damaged, according to the school district.
The district plans to continue to monitor the situation and could not comment on the state of classes for Wednesday, but would let parents and staff know when a decision has been made.
Williams added that the district leadership is looking into how the school will handle the seventh- and eighth-graders missing two school days.
— Dustin L. Dangli