Fort Worth

March 27, 2014

Man surrenders after standoff with deputies near Kennedale

Jesus Ray Ybarra, 29, fired a shotgun several times at sheriff’s deputies, a department spokesman said.

A 29-year-old man, who had been free on bond on a 2013 murder charge, was back in jail Thursday night after he fired at Tarrant County sheriff’s deputies during a standoff south of Kennedale, a sheriff’s spokesman said.

Jesus Ray Ybarra surrendered to deputies after a family member, reportedly a brother, arrived and urged him to give up, according to spokesman Terry Grisham.

A woman with a boy, estimated to be about 2, were also at the scene.

Ybarra fired a shotgun several times, but no one was hurt during the two-hour standoff, he said.

“We were preparing for worst and hoping for the best, and that’s what we got,” Grisham said.

Ibarra was in the Tarrant County Jail Thursday night facing a charge of attempted capital murder, jail records showed.

‘We still had a very deadly situation’

The incident began at 4:50 p.m. when deputies were called about a domestic disturbance with possible shots fired in the 7800 block of Grimsley-Gibson Road, Grisham said.

When deputies arrived, they found a man and woman arguing outside the house.

Grisham corrected earlier reports that indicated the boy had been in the house with the man.

The woman was trying to leave, and the boy was already inside a vehicle, Grisham said.

Deputies moved the woman and the boy to a safe location, and the man retreated into the house.

“But we still had a very deadly situation,” Grisham said. “The subject fired at least one shotgun numerous times, probably upwards of 10 shots.”

At one point, Grisham said, the man demanded to know if the baby was safe. When deputies replied that he was, the man resumed firing.

Grisham said the man “unquestionably” fired in the direction of the deputies, who were joined by officers from Kennedale and Mansfield.

Sheriff Dee Anderson also went to the scene, Grisham said.

He said he had no reports of a deputy returning fire, but he did not know if any of the city police officers shot back.

“At one point,” Grisham said, “a family member arrived on scene and made contact with the subject, I presume by phone, and urged him to surrender.

“Eventually, he did that.”

Murder charge

Ybarra is already awaiting trial in a shooting death on May 10 in Fort Worth.

He had been free on $50,000 bail, but an arrest warrant was issued on Jan. 8 on suspicion that he forfeited the bond, court records show.

According to the indictment, Ybarra is accused of fatally shooting Jesse Garrison, 28, of Fort Worth. Investigators believe that about 11:30 p.m., Ybarra and Garrison were traveling in separate vehicles west on East Maddox Avenue near South Riverside Drive in Fort Worth.

As the road narrowed, the two vehicles were side by side, and “both vehicles began to slow down and speed up trying to merge.”

Soon after, the cars pulled over on Milano Avenue, according to a news report. Ybarra and Garrison got out of their cars and began arguing. Ybarra pulled a gun and fired several shots at Garrison, police said.

Garrison was taken to John Peter Smith Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 12:12 a.m. May 11. Cause of death was gunshot wound to the chest.

Ybarra, whose lived in Benbrook at the time, was arrested on a murder warrant in Cleburne.

The indictment also stated that Ybarra is a “repeat offender” who was convicted in May 2006 of felony assault on a public servant in Hidalgo County.

This includes information from Star-Telegram archives.

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos