A gas leak Thursday in a west-side neighborhood forced two street closures and the evacuation of several houses until utility workers brought it under control, a fire department spokesman said.
No fires or injuries resulted from the two-hour incident.
The leak was reported at about 4:40 p.m. in the 5100 block of Byers Avenue, said Engineer Tim Hardeman, the fire department spokesman. The area is north of the intersection of Camp Bowie Boulevard and Interstate 30.
Workers were laboring at the front of a house when they clipped a 6-inch gas line, Hardeman said.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters and a repair crew from Atmos Energy responded. As a precaution, six homes near the leak were ordered evacuated, although not everyone was home at the time, Hardeman said.
Meanwhile, traffic was blocked on Byers and nearby Neville Street, Hardeman said.
“The Atmos crew put a sleeve on the line and banded it, which sealed the leak,” Hardeman said. “It was a little bit of a challenge for the crew to put that band on, but they did it.”
Firefighters remained on scene to monitor the air. They were concerned the gas might dangerously accumulate, but it seemed to dissipate easily, Hardeman said.
Atmos crews also checked nearby sewer lines to ensure no gas had pooled inside.
The streets were reopened and people were allowed back into their homes after an all-clear was given at about 6:30 p.m., Hardeman said.