Man burned in Sansom Park fire dies

02/12/2014 12:51 PM

02/12/2014 12:52 PM

A man critically burned in a house fire Sunday in Sansom Park died Wednesday at a Dallas hospital, officials said.

Edward Able, 57, who had second- and third-degree burns, died about 1 a.m. at Parkland Memorial Hospital.

The fire was reported about 8:45 p.m. Sunday in the 5100 block of Urbanview Street in Sansom Park.

Police Chief Chief Randy Driver has said the home was being heated with a kitchen stove.

“It looks like the flame went out. The gas went up the Vent-A-Hood that didn’t vent outside but went into the attic,” Driver said Monday . “The attic filled with gas.”

Able was burned when he lit a cigarette that ignited the fumes, Driver said.

A person who called 911 said Able’s clothing was on fire, but the flames were out by the time firefighters arrived, Driver said.

The man was taken to Parkland by ambulance because the weather prevented helicopters from flying.

This report includes material from the Star-Telegram archives.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service