Electrical problem blamed in fire that destroyed Fort Worth offices

01/09/2014 8:23 AM

01/09/2014 8:25 AM

An electrical problem ignited a fast-spreading fire early Thursday that heavily damaged a strip shopping center near South Freeway, a fire official said. No injuries were reported.

The fire was reported shortly before 1 a.m. at Metro Insurance in the 6900 block of South Freeway.

Firefighters found heavy fire and smoke that spread to nearby businesses, fire Capt. Tom Crow said in a news release. The blaze was under control by 1:20 a.m.

Investigators determined that an electrical malfunction occurred inside the insurance office, and the fire was ruled an accident, Crow said.

An employee at Brilliant Minds Learning Center, near the insurance office, said Thursday that fire officials had cleared it to reopen.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service