You can scan your groceries with your smartphone while you shop and avoid even the self-checkout lines, with new technology in Walmart stores in North Texas, including locations in Fort Worth, Waxahachie and eight other cities.
The Scan & Go capability, which also can be used with a smartphone app or scanners available at the front of stores, is scheduled to debut Saturday, according to the Dallas Business Journal.
In both cases, consumers scan barcodes as they shop.
“At the end, click ‘finish’ and scan a QR code on any of the self-checkout registers and it’ll total your whole purchase,” Waxahachie store manager Josh Aston told the Waxahachie Daily Light. “Or if you link a credit card straight to your ‘Scan & Go’ app on your phone, you can purchase it straight from your phone and not even go to your register.”
The app will generate a digital receipt customers can show to greeters as they walk out.
Some customers in Waxahachie, where Scan & Go is already in place, were pleased.
“I think it’s pretty cool,” Mattie Shepherd told the Daily Light. “It makes shopping easier because you can actually see what your total is before getting up to the register. You can scan, and it’ll show your purchases of everything and then what your total is, so you can keep track of what you’re spending and I think that’s cool.”
On the other hand, customer Mandy Weir told the Light it might not appeal to everyone.
“I use the self-check line anyways, but I don’t think it’ll appeal to an older generation because a lady I talked to lately was like, ‘No, I have a dumb phone, and I’m not picking that up in the store,’ ” she said.
“It appeals more towards the younger generation, absolutely. It’s kind of like ‘The Jetsons.’ ”
According to the Business Journal, Scan & Go is available at these North Texas locations:
▪ 601 N. FM 1821, Mineral Wells (handheld scanners and mobile)
▪ 1750 S. Broadway St., Sulphur Springs (handheld scanners and mobile)
▪ 2750 W. University Drive, Denton (handheld scanners and mobile)
▪ 300 Kings Fort Parkway, Kaufman (mobile)
▪ 2041 N. Redbud Blvd., McKinney (mobile)
▪ 1200 N. U.S. 77, Waxahachie (handheld scanners and mobile)
▪ 1800 Lawrence St., Gainesville (handheld scanners and mobile)
▪ 1836 S. Main St., Weatherford (mobile)
▪ 9500 Clifford St., Fort Worth (mobile)
▪ 7401 Interstate 30, Greenville (mobile)