Stubborn fire burns discarded plastic at Mansfield company

07/04/2014 5:13 PM

07/04/2014 5:20 PM

A fire that started on piles of discarded plastic near a Mansfield company burned for almost two hours Friday before firefighters extinguished the blazed, a fire official said.

Firefighters took almost two hours to knock out the fire in a lot just outside of Spectrum Polymers, 600 Justice Lane.

No injuries were reported, as the company was closed for the day. No buildings were damaged.

“The fire was outside of the company, and it was plastic trash,” said Mansfield Fire Chief Barry Bondurant. “But there was a lot of fire and smoke.”

Smoke could be seen for miles in many locations of southwest Tarrant County.

Firefighters responded after a patrol officer spotted smoke at the business about 9:30 a.m.

Bondurant said Friday’s fire was the second in 14 years at the company. The other was caused by lightning, he said.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service