Fatal Arlington fire started by candle near mattress, firefighters report

03/07/2014 9:33 PM

03/07/2014 9:34 PM

A man believed to be in his 50s died Friday morning after fire broke out in his Arlington apartment, a Fire Department spokesman said.

The man’s name was not released Friday evening because authorities had not notified his family, said fire Lt. Lee Tovar.

The blaze was reported at 9:19 a.m. at a complex in the 600 block of Elm Street, Tovar said.

“A neighbor called 911 for smoke coming from the next-door apartment,” Tovar said. “Firefighters forced entry and found the male victim near the front door unconscious.”

The man was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead, Tovar said.

The fire “was started by a candle burning near the bed,” Tovar said. “There was no suspicious activity. The fire was contained to the mattress.”

There was heavy smoke in the apartment, and the man had been burned on his back, neck and face, Tovar said.

There were no working smoke detectors in the apartment, he said.

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service