A 68-year-old man was in good condition Wednesday morning after being injured in a house explosion Tuesday night in rural Johnson County.
The explosion and subsequent fire occurred about 9:30 p.m. in the 1100 block of County Road 317, south of Keene.
Before being taken by helicopter ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital’s burn center, Lawrence was able to tell deputies that he had a fire in the fireplace and had gone to the kitchen when the house exploded.
EMS personnel told deputies that Lawrence indicated to them that he had placed a bottle of propane next to the fireplace.
Lt. Tim Jones, a spokeswoman with the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, said the cause of the explosion remained under investigation Wednesday.