A Navy SEAL, an ex-president’s haircut and a radio superstar dominated news in 2013
12/18/2013 3:37 PM
12/18/2013 5:01 PM
Here are the most popular news and sports stories of 2013 from Star-Telegram.com.
Top 10 overall
1. Top Navy SEAL sniper killed on gun range of West Texas resort, by Barry Shlachter
2. Saginaw police say veterinarian shot after friend vomited near man’s car, by Domingo Ramirez Jr.
3. Thousands of bees attack couple, horses in Pantego, by Jessamy Brown
4. Teen sentenced to 10 years’ probation, rehab in 4 deaths, by Mitch Mitchell
5. Fort Worth man, 34, accused of shootings in Navy Yard, by Deanna Boyd and Bill Miller
6. Kidd Kraddick dies in New Orleans at 53, by Robert Philpot
7. Woman tumbles to her death from Texas Giant as horrified riders look on at Six Flags, by Sarah Bahari and Patrick Walker
8. Snakes may have met their match in plastic mesh, by Terry Evans
9. George H.W. Bush shaves head to show support for young leukemia patient, by Anna M. Tinsley
10. Texas Rangers investigating death of 6-year-old girl in Saginaw, by Bill Miller and Domingo Ramirez Jr.
Top 10 noncrime
1. Snakes may have met their match in plastic mesh, by Terry Evans
2. George H.W. Bush shaves head to show support for young leukemia patient, by Anna Tinsley
3. Teen surprised with a big paycheck for 10th-place steer, by Lee Williams
4. Support showered on former Arlington family after tragedy, by Patrick Walker
5. More than 600 new Texas laws take effect Sunday, by Anna M. Tinsley
6. Voter ID law snags former House Speaker Jim Wright, by Terry Evans and Anna M. Tinsley
7. What if Texas really did secede? by John Henry
8. Legendary pianist Van Cliburn dies at 78, by Tim Madigan
9. The secret lives of anchors, by Robert Philpot
10. Ennis’ Bluebonnet Trail: a Texas tradition, by Clif Bosler
Top 10 sports
1. Rob Ryan fired as Dallas Cowboys defensive coordinator, by Clarence Hill Jr.
2. Nolan Ryan could leave Rangers by end of spring training, sources say, by Randy Galloway
3. Nolan Ryan forced out at home, by Randy Galloway
4. A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel working hard to be best he can be, by Charean Williams
5. Was Aledo’s 91-0 football win last week a case of bullying? by Ryan Osborne
6. TCU’s Patterson rips into Baylor’s Briles for ‘coming at me,’ by Gil LeBreton
7. After decades on air, Randy Galloway signs off DFW sports radio on Monday, by Robert Philpot
8. AT&T gets naming rights for Cowboys Stadium, by Susan Schrock and Andrea Ahles
9. Josh and Katie Hamilton giving Rangers fans a bad rap, by Randy Galloway
10. Manziel, Texas A&M leave no doubt there’s life after Big 12 split, by Gil LeBreton
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.