Woman held in husband's 2011 killing in Keller

01/09/2012 10:53 PM

03/07/2014 2:39 PM

A woman who first told police that an intruder killed her husband at their Keller home, then said he committed suicide, is now facing a murder charge in his slaying, police said.

Michele Williams, 42, was arrested Monday near her new home in Flower Mound, accused of the October shooting death of Gregory Williams, 40. She also faces charges of making a false report to a peace officer and tampering with or fabricating physical evidence.

Williams, who did not have a criminal record, remained in the Keller Jail on Monday afternoon with bail set at $522,000.

Keller police did not release a motive for the killing.

A hysterical Michele Williams called 911 at 4:40 a.m. Oct. 13, telling Keller police that a man dressed in black had entered the home on Jacob Avenue through a back door, hit her in the head and shot her husband, police have said.

In an interview with police, Williams said she smelled gunpowder, got up from a bed and walked to a hallway. She told investigators that she heard a noise, started to walk back to the bedroom and was hit in the head.

But authorities soon found evidence that contradicted her story. A door appeared to have been forced open, but investigators were suspicious, police Lt. Brenda Slovak said. A K-9 dog did not detect the scent of an intruder, and a neighbor's security video system showed that a newspaper delivery vehicle was the only one in the neighborhood that morning, according to police and an arrest warrant affidavit released Monday.

"At the scene, we found a gun, a shell casing and a wrench on the floor near a door leading out to a back porch," Slovak said. "It was like they were put there in some kind of order."

Four hours later, Michele Williams changed her story, saying that her husband had committed suicide and that she had made up the first story to protect their 4-year-old daughter.

In her second story, Williams -- who has three children from a previous marriage and relationship, and one child with Gregory Williams -- said that she had staged the break-in to conceal that her husband had killed himself.

In this story, Williams said she and her husband were in bed when their 4-year-old daughter came into their room.

"She said that he told them both to leave the room," Slovak said. "She said that she was laying on the a couch with her daughter and heard a noise, went into the bedroom and found her husband with a gunshot wound.

"She was trying to cover it up because she didn't want her 4-year-old daughter to know her dad had committed suicide."

Keller police also found a screwdriver in a woodpile in the yard that Michele Williams told investigators that she had used on the door to create the appearance of a break-in. She told authorities that she hit herself in the face with the wrench.

She also told investigators that she washed her husband's hands, apparently in an attempt to remove gun residue, according to Keller police reports.

Gregory Williams was found lying on his back on the couple's bed, Slovak said. He had a gunshot wound to his temple.

Keller police conducted a two-month investigation before the arrest.

"We wanted to be sure all toxicology and ballistic tests were complete," Slovak said. "We didn't want to rush this investigation, and we believed she would stay in this area."

Tests concluded that the shooting was not consistent with suicide, the affidavit stated. Gregory Williams was shot by someone standing about 12 to 18 inches away, according to the affidavit.

Slovak noted that the gun was found near a door leading out to a back porch and nowhere near Gregory Williams.

The Williamses had rented the Keller house in the Twin Lakes subdivision, an upscale, gated community of mostly $400,000 homes southwest of the Sky Creek Ranch Golf Club.

A Child Protective Services official has said that the agency did not take custody of the couple's 4-year-old after the shooting, and Keller police said they had not received any previous calls from that address.

Staff writer Mitch Mitchell contributed to this report.

Domingo Ramirez Jr.,


Twitter: @stcrime

Join the Discussion

Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQ | Terms of Service