A gas leak Thursday in a west-side neighborhood forced two street closures and the evacuation of several houses until utility workers sealed the leak and declared the area safe, a fire department spokesman said.
No fires or injuries resulted from the two-hour incident.
The leak was reported at about 4:40 p.m. in the 5100 block of Byers Avenue, said engineer Tim Hardeman, Fort Worth Fire Department spokesman. The area is north of the intersection of Camp Bowie Boulevard and Interstate 30.
A construction crew working on a driveway in front of a house clipped a 6-inch gas line, Hardeman said.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters and an Atmos Energy repair crew responded. As a precaution, six homes near the leak were ordered evacuated, although some residents were not at home, Hardeman said.
Meanwhile, traffic was blocked on Byers and nearby Neville Street, Hardeman said.
“The Atmos crew put a sleeve on the line and banded it, which sealed the leak,” Hardeman said. “It was a little bit of a challenge for the crew to put that band on, but they did it.”
Firefighters, who were concerned the gas might accumulate dangerously, remained on scene monitoring the air. However, it seemed to dissipate easily, Hardeman said.
The Atmos crew also checked nearby sewer lines to ensure no gas had pooled inside.
The streets were reopened and residents were allowed to go back into their homes at about 6:30 p.m., Hardeman said.