It’s that time, again, peeps — time for our annual Peeps diorama contest, and this year, they’ll be on display for the public to see and vote on in person!
This year marks the eighth time we’re asking you, our clever readers, to get crazy-creative with those colorful marshmallow candies. But for the first time, the Star-Telegram is partnering with the Fort Worth Central Library downtown to host a “Peeps show.”
All entries are to be dropped off at the main entrance of the Central Library, at 500 W. Third St., Fort Worth, during the library’s regular business hours, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., on Monday, April 7. (No exceptions.)
From April 8-12, the public will be invited to view the entries and vote for their favorites at the library. These votes will help determine the finalists, which will be voted on by the public online.
Never miss a local story.
Winners will be announced in Life & Arts on Easter Sunday, April 20. The dioramas will stay on display at the library until that day.
Here’s what to know to get started on your entry. (Please read all the rules. Entries that don’t follow them will be disqualified.)
1. Make a diorama (a miniature 3-D model) using Peeps. Other materials are also permitted. (Hint: The ones that win are the ones that use Peeps most creatively.)
2. The base of the entry should be square and should not exceed 18 inches by 18 inches. (Note: This is a smaller size than in years past.) The base can be made of wood, cardboard or other materials but should be easily carried up and down stairs by one person. No wheels, please.
Alternatively, the diorama may be created in a standard-size shoe box.
3. Make sure all materials are securely fastened. We will not fix broken dioramas, nor will we supply adhesive at the time of drop-off.
4. Each person entering can work on only one entry.
5. Include on the entry the title of the submission, the creators’ names, ages, addresses and phone numbers, as well as an email address. Age will be taken into consideration when the finalists are chosen. You may also include, in 100 words or fewer, a few sentences about the creation of the diorama. This must be securely fastened to the back or bottom.
6. If you are a winner, you must agree to have your name and photo in the Star-Telegram, and on its websites and social-media sites. Your project also may be shown on the Just Born “Peeps” website.
7. Entrants must live in North Texas.
8. Contest entries must be dropped off in person April 7 at the Fort Worth Central Library (NOT the Star-Telegram building, as in years past). You may make arrangements for someone else to drop off your entry, but it may not come in before or after the designated time frame on the drop-off day.
9. Dioramas will not be returned.
Note: Star-Telegram employees and their immediate families are not eligible.