A rare chance to experience the British tradition of high tea along with stories of royalty awaits guests at the Sept. 14 “High Tea and Conversation” with special guest Patrick Jephson, private secretary to the late Princess Diana of Wales.
Benefiting the American Cancer Society, guests at the lovely afternoon event will savor gourmet finger sandwiches, scones with clotted cream and jam, as well as sweets and select teas. Jephson’s stories of life with Diana and a peek into life at Kensington Palace promises to be spellbinding entertainment.
According to a news release: “His work with Diana involved daily contact with officials at all levels, including heads of state. He organized Diana’s public duties, managed her household and journeyed with her to destinations spanning five continents.”
Born and raised in Ireland, Jephson has a degree in political science from Cambridge University and was commissioned in the Royal Navy. He served for eight years as the only private secretary to Princess Diana.
Never miss a local story.
After her death, Jephson became a full-time author and lecturer. His first book, Shadows of a Princess, was a New York Times bestseller.
A raffle drawing will offer guests a chance to win a variety of unique items purchased in England.
Chairing the event is Zoe Kirby with help from committee members Susan Dunkel, Adelaide Griffin, Stephanie House and Valerie Skinner.
“It will be a very unique event. Patrick is a fascinating man who has lots of memories to share about the royal family and his time with Diana,” said Kirby.
The venue is Piazza in the Village in Colleyville. Individual tickets are $150, and seating is limited. Inquire at the American Cancer Society with Allison Greenhaw at 817-570-0618. For reservations, contact Kirby at 817-676-2795 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall kickoff for Southlake Newcomers Club
For newcomers to Southlake and the surrounding area who are ready to meet new friends and get involved in community activities, a Wine & Cheese Social hosted by the Southlake Newcomers Club will be just the ticket. The event is an open house set for Sept. 9 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at 325 Clariden Ranch Road in Southlake.
“Southlake Newcomers Club is open to all residents of Southlake and surrounding areas including Keller, Colleyville, Trophy Club and Grapevine just to name a few,” said publicity chairwoman Keitha Cain. “We are here to serve the community as a welcoming club that offers opportunities for women to meet new friends, enjoy activities and provide some community service.”
Cain said the club meets monthly and offers fun, informative programs, a wide variety of interesting group activities, camaraderie and adventure. “Come visit, socialize and see what we are all about, and make some new friends along the way,” she said.
Preservation is the Art of the City coming soon
It’s time for a Fort Worth favorite: Preservation is the Art of the City. The popular art show and sale will feature hundreds of beautiful pieces of art from 56 jury-selected artists from Sept. 5 to 27 at the Fort Worth Community Arts Center at 1300 Gendy St.
An exclusive Party with the Artists on Sept. 4 at 6:30 p.m. will afford art aficionados a chance to meet the artists and the opportunity for preview shopping before the show opens to the public.
Guests will enjoy a cocktail buffet and be the first to learn who will receive the coveted artist awards selected by guest juror Margi Conrads, deputy director of art and research at the Amon Carter Museum.
Special guest is this year’s featured artist, Dennis Blagg, whose artworks have been exhibited in galleries throughout Texas and collected by over 15 corporations. He is known for his landscapes of the West.
Honorary chairmen of the monthlong event are Pam and Bill Campbell, co-owners of William Campbell Contemporary Art.
“The centerpiece of the art show is a section of preservation-themed works of art called ‘Stories from the City,’ ” writes Historic Fort Worth spokeswoman Suzy Coleman. “Artists may interpret this theme in any way they choose, and each work is accompanied by written remarks from the artist explaining the preservation theme.” Local residents will especially appreciate the several Stockyards-themed paintings being shown this year.
Proceeds from the event benefit Historic Fort Worth. Artists receive 65 percent of the purchase price of their sold artwork, and the remaining 35 percent supports preservation programs including Thistle Hill and McFarland House.
Tickets for the Sept. 4 preview party are $125 each and $85 for Historic Fort Worth members. Admission to the art show is free. The show is open Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.