▪ Botanical Research Institute of Texas’ second annual Artisan Market, featuring handcrafted items that include art, textiles, photography, bath products and foods, will be 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. 1700 University Drive (inside the Fort Worth Botanic Garden/BRIT campus), Fort Worth. 817-332-4441; www.brit.org.
▪ Learn about “Citizen Science and Water Monitoring” during a talk by Ben Sandifer, an EPA-certified water tester with the Texas Stream Team and author of the Dallas Trinity Trails Blog, 1 p.m. Saturday at the Bob Jones Nature Center, 355 E. Bob Jones Road, Southlake. It’s $15, $10 members. 817-491-6333; www.bjnc.org.
▪ Early learning specialist Michelle Lee reads stories and leads activities for young children, 1-2 p.m. Saturday, at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. From 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday, learn about complementary colors in nature for photography and art using a camera or iPad. The class will be limited to 12 participants. Both programs are free with admission ($2-$5). 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ Bring the kids to a free live animal exploration, 2 p.m. Saturday, at the River Legacy Living Science Center, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. RSVP to 817-860-6752; www.riverlegacy.org.
▪ The Conservatory of the Deborah Beggs Moncrief Center at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden will be closed for updates and repairs for November, beginning Sunday. fwbg.org.
▪ Have some “Flashlight Fun” with the family and explore the Fort Worth Botanic Garden at night, 6-7 p.m. Thursday, in the circle drive of the Deborah Beggs Moncrief Garden Center, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd. Bring flashlights for the free program. 817-392-5510; http://fwbg.org.
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For the Bob Jones Nature Center’s fundraiser, Naturally Sweet, A Celebration Under the Stars, 7-10 p.m. Nov. 14 at the Marriott Solana, Westlake. $75, $65 members. Tickets: http://bjnc.org/events-naturally-sweet.php.