▪ Take the Greer Island hike, recommended for age 10 and older, at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. And 1-3 p.m. Sunday, there’s a guided hike of the Riverbottom Trail, which is shaded by giant cottonwood trees. Both programs are free with paid admission ($2-$5).
Also, register now for a Sept. 13 introduction-to-kayaking class led by a certified instructor. Kayaks, paddles and safety gear are provided. The class is limited to eight participants. $55, $50 members.
The refuge is at 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ Bring the kids to a live animal exploration, 2 p.m. Saturday, at the River Legacy Living Science Center, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. RSVP to 817-860-6752, ext. 102. www.riverlegacy.org.
Never miss a local story.
▪ The Botanical Research Institute of Texas and the city of Fort Worth are having a rain barrel and compost bin sale. Orders must be placed by 11 a.m. Monday. For more information and to order, visit www.rainbarrelprogram.org/britfortworth.
▪ Learn about the Pantanal, the biologically diverse wetlands of Brazil, during a meeting of the Fort Worth Audubon Society, 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the lower level of the UNT Health Science Center, 3500 Camp Bowie Blvd. A bird ID session begins at 6:50 p.m. www.fwas.org
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For a free composting workshop led by master composter and gardener Charlie Shiner, 10-11:30 a.m. Sept. 12, on the third floor of Southlake Town Hall, 1400 Main St. For more information, contact the Bob Jones Nature Center, 817-491-6333 or www.bjnc.org.
▪ For the eighth annual Art in the Garden, part of Gallery Night, noon-5 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Sept. 12 and 1-4 p.m. Sept. 13 at the Deborah Beggs Moncrief Garden Center of the Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd. An artists’ reception will be 4-6 p.m. Sept. 12. Visitors can vote for the People’s Choice Award.