Man who found dead teens told dispatchers he tried CPR, but 'I'm getting nothing'
Father of suspect arrested in the deaths said in 911 call he was 'getting nothing'
01/07/2013 10:44 PM
01/09/2013 9:58 AM
SOUTHLAKE -- The father who discovered two unconscious Southlake Carroll High School students Saturday morning told a dispatcher that "I might have two dead kids upstairs in my house," according to the 911 call released Monday by Grapevine police.
The caller, Bob Marino, said he attempted cardiopulmonary resuscitation on one of the boys, but he told the dispatcher that there was no use.
"I'm getting nothing," Bob Marino told the dispatcher.
When the dispatcher asked him if the boys had taken drugs, Bob Marino asked his son, Cullen Marino, about it and then told the dispatchers, "He says if they did it, it had to be before they came here."
Grapevine police, however, contend that Cullen Marino provided Chase Nunez, 18, and Kyle McNutt, 17, with drugs and later failed to call 911 when he observed the two teens as unresponsive. Cullen Marino, 22, remained in custody Monday, facing two charges of criminally negligent homicide.
Just before Cullen Marino was taken to the Grapevine Jail, police said they found a spoon with heroin residue in the front pocket of his pants.
Bob Marino called 911 shortly before 9 a.m. Saturday after he found Nunez and McNutt -- both seniors at Carroll -- unresponsive in an upstairs bedroom at his home in the 700 block of Heather Wood Drive in Grapevine.
Bob Marino was in the house during the night, but he was unaware of what had happened upstairs, authorities said.
The boys were alive after 10:30 p.m. Friday because Bob Marino told the dispatcher that he heard them.
"I heard them pounding upstairs," Marino told the dispatcher. "And I asked them to keep it quiet."
As his father administered CPR, Cullen Marino's voice cracked as he identified the teens to the dispatcher.
The teens were dead when paramedics arrived Saturday morning.
"He [Cullen Marino] had been staying in an upstairs bedroom, and that's where it all happened," Grapevine police Sgt. Robert Eberling said Monday. "His father stayed downstairs that night."
Drugs bought in Dallas
Grapevine police say they believe that Cullen Marino purchased the drugs in Dallas and met Nunez and McNutt and other friends at his Grapevine home Friday evening.
Grapevine police and officers with the Tarrant County Narcotics Unit said they are investigating who sold him the drugs.
"We sent three officers Saturday to help Grapevine police with gathering evidence," Herschel Tebay, commander of the Tarrant County Narcotics Unit, said Monday.
In a search warrant affidavit released Monday, Cullen Marino is reported to have told police that Nunez and McNutt had smoked marijuana and taken Xanax before they came to his house.
After buying the drugs in Dallas, Cullen Marino returned to his Grapevine home, where several friends -- including McNutt and Nunez -- drank alcohol and ingested marijuana, possibly heroin and another drug, police said.
An inventory of evidence seized in the house included glass pipes, bongs, marijuana, scales, Xanax pills, white powder and orange pills, police said.
Cullen Marino faces the criminally negligent homicide charges because at some point late Friday or early Saturday, he found the two teens unresponsive in his bedroom, Grapevine police said. Instead of calling 911, he and some of the other friends carried the two teens to a separate bedroom and left them there, according to the affidavit. Cullen Marino then went back to sleep, police said.
"If medical attention would have been summoned, both may have survived," Eberling said.
Investigators are awaiting toxicology results on the teens to find out what caused their deaths. The results could take six weeks.
Cullen Marino remained in the Tarrant County Jail on Monday in lieu of $10,000 bail.
A 2008 graduate of Colleyville Heritage High School, Marino has a criminal history in Tarrant County.
Since 2008, just months after he graduated from high school, Marino has had three cases of marijuana possession filed against him in Bedford and Grapevine, and one case of driving while intoxicated in Grapevine, according to Tarrant County criminal court records.
At the time of his arrest, Marino was on two years' probation on the DWI charge out of Grapevine, records showed.
A 'societal issue'
Carroll schools were closed Monday, but officials said grief counselors will be on hand today when classes resume after the holiday break.
Read Ballew, president of the Carroll school board, said the two deaths add to what has already been a difficult year in the district, where students and staff have dealing with the loss of other students to cancer and a plane crash.
Now, they are struggling with deaths that highlight a "societal issue," Ballew said.
"It's been a year of tragedies for us," Ballew said, adding that the community will reach out through organizations such as S.P.A.R.K, Students and Parents Against Risks to our Kids.
That group's next meeting is scheduled for Feb. 4.
"It makes everybody very sad," Ballew said. "It's all about the kids. Our focus needs to be on helping the kids deal with the situation."
Holly Lochridge, who raised three children in Carroll schools, said the deaths highlight the drug problem in their community.
"It's an issue that nobody talks about," Lochridge said. "Parents think it's not their kids."
Several students said they learned about the deaths via social media.
Ashley Baker, a 15-year-old sophomore, said she was saddened and cried when she learned another tragedy had hit her school community.
"It brought back memories. It just made us sad," said Baker, adding that Nunez seemed outgoing and played lacrosse.
On Monday, the Southlake Carroll Lacrosse Association website noted the loss.
"Chase was an integral part of the high school lacrosse team and will be severely missed," the message states. "At this time of mourning, we ask that you keep the entire Nunez family in your thoughts and prayers."
Staff writer Diane Smith contributed to this report.
Domingo Ramirez Jr., 817-390-7763
Join the Discussion
Fort Worth Star-Telegram is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.