For a hearty brunch on a cold January weekend, we think these egg-sausage-potato burritos are just the trick. This recipe comes from chef Scott Hoffman of the Mason Jar Restaurant in Longs, S.C., courtesy of the Idaho Potato Commission. Find many more recipes at www.idahopotato.com.
Note: you can add other ingredients, such as crispy chopped bacon, refried beans and diced ham, as desired.
-- June Naylor, Special to the Star-Telegram
Ana's giant breakfast burrito
3/4 pound ground sausage
1/2 cup diced onions
8 dashes Montreal Seasoning
3/4 pound shredded Idaho potatoes
4 12-inch flour tortillas
11/2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeños, optional
1 cup medium picante sauce
1. Cook ground sausage with onions and Montreal Seasoning.
2. In separate pan, cook shredded Idaho potatoes in pan until crispy.
3. Scramble eggs and cook well.
4. Grill the tortillas in a skillet over low heat. Sprinkle cheese blend evenly across tortilla. Layer each ingredient in the center of the tortilla, with egg added last.
5. When ingredients are in place, sprinkle jalapeños on top. Fold in one side of the tortilla and roll into burrito. Set aside and keep warm as you prepare the other burritos. Serve with picante sauce.