FORT WORTH -- A Park Glen Elementary School student died Wednesday from a noncontagious form of meningitis, officials said.
The boy, whose identity has not been released, had pneumococcal meningitis, officials said.
Park Glen parents were notified Tuesday that a child was seriously ill, but no diagnosis had been confirmed.
Keller school district spokesman Bryce Nieman said the letter was sent as a precaution. After the diagnosis, doctors said other students do not need to be tested, Nieman said.
Never miss a local story.
"Though if any parents have concerns, they should seek the advice of their pediatrician," Nieman said.
This form of meningitis is caused by bacteria known as Streptococcus pneumoniae, and symptoms include high fever, chills, lethargy, headache, nausea and vomiting.
Dr. Sandra Parker, medical director of Tarrant County Public Health, said this form of meningitis is rarely passed on through casual contact, such as sneezing or coughing.
" Streptococcus pneumoniae bacteria are common in many people, especially children, to carry in their throat, but it doesn't cause an infection or illness for everyone," Parker said.
On average, Tarrant County has about 120 cases of invasive streptococcal diseases, including those causing meningitis, each year. Last year, there were 189, health officials said.
Under minimum state vaccine rules, seventh- and eighth-graders must be vaccinated against meningitis, but that shot is targeted at a different form of the disease, Parker said.
Additional counselors were at the north Fort Worth school Wednesday.
"We will provide safe rooms for students or staff to talk to counselors if they need to," Nieman said.