An 82-year-old woman died at Parkland Hospital on Tuesday afternoon, hours after she was pulled from her burning southwest Fort Worth home with extensive injuries, the Dallas County medical examiner's office said.
Alma Johnson, 82, was trapped in her bed in the 6120 block of Wales Court when the fire, apparently sparked by a candle, broke out shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday, fire officials said.
Johnson's husband, John, and a neighbor who tried to rescue her suffered minor injuries.
Alma Johnson was taken by helicopter ambulance to Parkland Memorial Hospital's Burn Center, according to a Fort Worth Fire Department news release.
Never miss a local story.
Her husband was home at the time and discovered the fire. He was taken by ground ambulance to a local hospital with minor injuries, the release stated.
Neighbor Louis Paquette and his daughter's boyfriend, Allen Hallman, broke the front bedroom window in an attempt to rescue Alma Johnson, who was bedridden with an illness.
Unable to enter the room because of the intense flames, Hallman retrieved a garden hose and Paquette sprayed water inside to douse the flames and protect Johnson.
"She was in a hospital bed," said Paquette, who suffered burns on his right hand from the burning windowsill. "I was just keeping it right on her because I could see her in there. She was moving around a little bit, and I could see her breathing."