▪ A “Leave No Trace” class for ages 12-16 will be 11 a.m.-1 p.m. June 11 at the Bob Jones Nature Center. It’s $15 per person; bring a snack. Call to register. A volunteer orientation will be at 1 p.m. 355 E. Bob Jones Road, Southlake. 817-491-6333; bjnc.org.
▪ Join a monthly backyard composting class with the city of Arlington Master Composters on June 11 at River Legacy Living Science Center, 703 N.W. Green Oaks Blvd., Arlington. It’s 9-11 a.m. at the back of the parking lot. Free book; no registration required. Also, at 2 p.m., kids can join a free live animal exploration. Register by calling 817-860-6752. riverlegacy.org.
▪ Learn about native snakes, venomous and not, during a presentation at 1 and 2 p.m. June 11 at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. Admission to the refuge is $2-$5.
On June 12, meet the nature center’s “wild ambassadors” — aka live animals — during programs at 1:30 and 3:30 p.m. Free with paid admission.
Never miss a local story.
9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org
▪ Take an hourlong guided walking tour of the Japanese Garden at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden at 10 a.m. June 14. Admission is $7, $5 for seniors and $4 children.
At 11 a.m. June 15, kids ages 4-18 can join a Discovery Day activity involving nature painting. Bring gardening gloves; no reservation required. Two kids per caregiver allowed. At 6 p.m. June 16, make a bubble wand during a Family Drop-In event. It’s free and come-and-go.
Fort Worth Botanic Garden, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd. 817-392-5510; fwbg.org.
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County Master Gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.
Mark your calendar …
▪ For a kayak tour of the West Fork of the Trinity River, beginning at 8:30 a.m. June 18, at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. $20, plus $5 adult admission. Registration required. Also, at 10 a.m. June 18, there will be a citizen science program on native turtle species. Registration required. 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org