▪ The Greater Fort Worth Herb Society’s Herb Festival will be 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Worth Botanic Garden Center, 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd. Admission is $4, free for 12 and younger. The event includes presentations at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m., fresh and dried herbs and spices, nature crafts, herbal soap, candles and more.
▪ “An Evening at Southwest Nature Preserve” promises two hikes and free snacks beginning at 6 p.m. Saturday at the preserve, 5201 Bowman Springs Road, Arlington. The first hike, “Secret Features,” begins at 6, and the second, “Night Hike and Owl Prowl,” at 8:15 p.m. The event will end at about 9:45 p.m. and is hosted by the Friends of the Southwest Nature Preserve. www.swnp.org
▪ Let the kids meet “Turtles Up Close” at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge. It’s $5 plus admission ($2-$5), free for members. The refuge’s monthly Canoe Fest is noon-4 p.m. Sunday. $5, $3 for members. All equipment is provided. The event is first come, first served, but you must register for it.
Learn about bats during an “after hours” program at 8 p.m. Thursday ($10 plus admission, $5 members). The Preschool Discovery Club, for ages 3-5, will learn about wildflowers during a class at 10:30 a.m. Friday. It’s $8 per child plus admission. The refuge is at 9601 Fossil Ridge Road, Fort Worth. 817-392-7410; www.fwnaturecenter.org.
▪ Learn about plants and shrubs that give you beautiful blooms year after year during a free class at 10:15 a.m. Saturday at area Calloway’s locations. www.calloways.com
▪ The 14th annual Hidden Gardens of Fort Worth tour of seven gardens in the historic Berkeley neighborhood will be noon-6 p.m. Sunday, rain or shine. Tickets are $20, $25 day of tour. Purchase tickets online at historicfortworth.org or at Archie’s Gardenland, 6700 Camp Bowie Blvd., and C.C.’s Touch of Nature, 3912 W. Vickery Blvd. For more information, call 817-336-2344, ext. 100.
▪ Get your gardening questions answered with a call to the Tarrant County Master Gardener Association help desk, 817-884-1944. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.
▪ Johnson County master gardeners also answer gardening questions and give advice 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Fridays. Call the Johnson County Extension Office at 817-556-6370 and ask to speak to a master gardener.